We’ve partnered with Econnex to bring you a range of mobile phone plans to help you compare them.
Whether you’re new to Melbourne or a lifelong resident, it's important to have a mobile plan that meets your needs and budget as you go about life in the city. However, with so many different providers and plans available, it can be difficult to know where to start. That's where Savvy comes in.
Our free online comparison platform lets you easily compare quotes from a range of trusted providers. So if you're in the heart of the CBD, living in the suburbs or located anywhere else in this vibrant city, we're here to help you find a plan that suits your needs. Start with a free, no-obligation quote today.
What types of mobile plans are available in Melbourne?
In Melbourne, as with the rest of Australia, there are three main types of mobile plans available:
- Prepaid plans: with prepaid plans, you pay for a specific amount of data, talk and text in advance. These plans offer more control over your spending and can be an excellent option for those on a budget.
- Postpaid plans: with postpaid plans, you pay for services after you’ve used them. They are often contracted and may come with additional features like unlimited talk and text. While they may be more expensive, they provide convenience and added benefits.
- Pay as you go (PAYG) plans: PAYG plans involve paying for services as you use them. You’re charged based on your actual usage. These plans are ideal for those who don’t use their phones frequently.
Additionally, these plans can be categorised into SIM-only plans, which provide a SIM card and network coverage but no handset, and SIM-and-phone plans, which include both a SIM card and a mobile device.
For those with specific needs, there may also be special plans available, including:
- Family plans: family plans allow multiple lines to be included in a single plan, making it convenient and cost-effective for families to manage their mobile services.
- Business plans: business plans are tailored to the needs of businesses, offering features like multiple lines, shared data and special rates for business-related calls.
How do I choose the best mobile plan for my needs in Melbourne?
When choosing a mobile plan in Melbourne, it's important to consider a range of factors:
- Usage: understand your habits and needs. Do you use a lot of data for streaming and browsing? Or do you primarily use your phone for calls and texts? Knowing your usage patterns helps you select the right plan for your needs.
- Budget: determine how much you’re willing to spend monthly. Remember to factor in any additional costs, like handset repayments for contract plans. This ensures you stay within your financial comfort zone.
- Type of plan: decide between prepaid, postpaid or PAYG. Each has its own advantages. Prepaid offers flexibility and control, postpaid provides more features, while PAYG allows for precise spending control.
- Provider: research different providers and their offerings. Look for reputable companies with plans that closely match your needs.
- Network: consider the coverage of providers in the locations you spend your time and check coverage maps. A strong network ensures you’re connected wherever you go.
- Additional features: some plans come with perks like unlimited talk and text, data rollover and access to entertainment platforms. Evaluate these features to see if they align with your preferences and usage.
- Future needs: anticipate any changes in your usage patterns or needs. If you expect your data usage to increase or if you’re planning to travel more frequently, choose a plan that accommodates these changes.
By considering these factors, you’ll be able to narrow down your options and select the best mobile plan in Melbourne that aligns with your needs and preferences. This ensures you get the most value out of your plan without overspending or being under-equipped.
How much will my mobile plan cost in Melbourne?
The cost of a mobile plan in Melbourne can vary widely based on several factors. These include:
- Plan type: prepaid plans tend to offer more control over spending and may be more budget friendly. Postpaid plans often come with additional features but may be more expensive.
- Inclusions: plans with more inclusions may have a higher monthly cost. This could range from data, talk and text allowances to additional features like international calling, data rollover and entertainment subscriptions.
- Handset repayments: if you opt for a contract plan with a new phone, you'll likely have monthly handset repayments. These can significantly impact the overall cost of the plan.
- Data allowance: it’s important to ensure you have enough data in your plan. While plans with more data are generally more expensive, keep in mind that going over your data limit can result in additional charges.
- Provider: different providers offer plans at varying price points. Some may offer more competitive rates or additional features for a similar cost.
- Add-ons: some plans may offer optional add-ons, like international roaming packages or additional data packs. These will incur extra charges.
- Contract length: longer contracts may come with lower monthly fees, but keep in mind early termination fees if you decide to cancel before the contract term is up.
Remember to carefully review the terms and conditions of the plan to ensure you have a comprehensive understanding of the costs involved. This way, you can choose a mobile plan that aligns with your budget and usage needs, whether that’s the cheapest mobile plan available in Melbourne or a more expensive one with a range of features.
Why compare mobile plans with Savvy?
Top tips for saving money on your mobile plan in Melbourne
Don’t pay for features you won’t use. For example, if you don't need international roaming, choose a plan that doesn't include it.
Most phones have data-saving features that can help you reduce your data usage. For example, you can turn off background data usage for apps that you don’t use often.
Many providers offer promotions and discounts on mobile plans, such as money off for signing up online.
Whenever possible, connect to Wi-Fi networks to conserve your mobile data. This is especially useful for activities like streaming videos or downloading large files.
Keep an eye on your data, talk and text usage to help you stay within your plan’s limits and avoid additional costs.
Compare plans from different providers to see if you can find a better deal. If you are looking for a new mobile plan, you can compare your options online with Savvy today.
Frequently asked questions about the best mobile plans in Melbourne
Savvy is partnered with Econnex Comparison (CIMET Sales Pty Ltd, ABN 72 620 395 726) to provide readers with a variety of mobile phone plans to compare. We do not compare all retailers in the market, or all plans offered by all retailers. Savvy earns a commission from Econnex each time a customer buys a mobile phone plan via our website. We don’t arrange for products to be purchased directly, as all purchases are conducted via Econnex.
Any advice presented above is general in nature and doesn’t consider your personal or business objectives, needs or finances. It’s always important to consider whether advice is suitable for you before purchasing a mobile phone plan. For further information on the variety of mobile phone plans compared by Econnex, or how their business works, you can visit their website.