We’ve partnered with Econnex to bring you a range of mobile phone plans to help you compare them.
Whether you’re new to Sydney or a lifelong resident, it's important to have a mobile plan that meets your needs and budget as you go about life in the city. However, with so many different providers and plans available, it can be difficult to know where to start. That's where Savvy comes in.
Our free online comparison platform lets you easily compare quotes from a range of trusted providers. So if you're in the heart of the CBD, living in the suburbs or located anywhere else in this bustling harbour city, we're here to help you find a plan that suits your needs. Start with a free, no-obligation quote today.
What types of mobile plans are available in Sydney?
In Sydney, as with the rest of Australia, there are three main types of mobile plans: prepaid, postpaid and pay as you go (PAYG).
- Prepaid plans allow you to pay for a specific amount of data, talk and text in advance. These plans are ideal for people on a budget, as they give you more control over your spending.
- Postpaid plans are billed after you use the service. These plans often come with additional features like unlimited talk and text. While they may be more expensive than prepaid plans, they offer convenience and added benefits.
- PAYG plans charge you based on your actual usage. These plans are ideal for people who don’t use their phones frequently.
In addition to these three main types of plans, there are also SIM-only plans and SIM-and-phone plans. SIM-only plans provide a SIM card and network coverage, but no handset, while SIM-and-phone plans include both a SIM card and a mobile device.
For those with specific needs, there may also be special plans available, such as family plans and business plans. Family plans allow multiple lines to be included in a single plan, while business plans are tailored to the needs of businesses, offering features like multiple lines, shared data and special rates for business-related calls.
How do I choose the best mobile plan for my needs in Sydney?
When choosing a mobile plan in Sydney, consider these factors:
- Usage: how much data do you use? How many minutes do you talk on the phone? How many texts do you send? Knowing your usage patterns will help you choose the right plan.
- Budget: how much are you willing to spend each month? Be sure to factor in handset repayments if you have a phone-and-SIM plan.
- Type of plan: choose between prepaid, postpaid or PAYG. Prepaid offers flexibility and control, postpaid provides more features and PAYG allows for precise spending control.
- Provider: research different providers and their offerings. Look for reputable companies with plans that meet your requirements.
- Network: consider the mobile coverage network of different providers in areas where you spend most of your time. Check coverage maps to ensure you're connected wherever you go.
- Additional features: some plans come with perks like unlimited talk and text, data rollover and access to entertainment platforms. Evaluate these features to see if they align with your preferences and usage.
- Future needs: anticipate any changes in your usage patterns or needs. If you expect your data usage to increase or if you’re planning to travel more frequently, choose a plan that accommodates these changes.
Considering these factors can help you narrow down your options and select the best mobile plan in NSW for your needs and preferences. This will ensure you get the most value out of your plan without overspending or being under-equipped.
How much will my mobile plan cost in Sydney?
The cost of a mobile plan in Sydney varies depending on several factors, including:
- Plan type: prepaid plans offer more control over spending and can be more budget-friendly, while postpaid plans often come with additional features but can be more expensive.
- Inclusions: plans with more inclusions, such as data, talk and text allowances, or additional features like international calling, data rollover and entertainment subscriptions, may have a higher monthly cost.
- Handset repayments: if you choose a contract plan with a new phone, you'll likely have monthly handset repayments, which can significantly impact the overall cost of the plan.
- Data allowance: it's important to ensure you have enough data in your plan. While plans with more data are generally more expensive, keep in mind that going over your data limit can result in additional charges.
- Provider: different providers offer plans at varying price points, with some offering more competitive rates or additional features for a similar cost.
- Add-ons: some plans may offer optional add-ons, such as international roaming packages or additional data packs, which will incur extra charges.
- Contract length: longer contracts may come with lower monthly fees, but keep in mind early termination fees if you decide to cancel before the contract term is up.
Before choosing a mobile plan, carefully review the terms and conditions to ensure you understand the costs involved. This will help you select a plan that aligns with your budget and usage needs.
Why compare mobile plans with Savvy?
Top tips for saving money on your mobile plan in Sydney
Don’t pay for features you won’t use. Think about how you use your phone and choose a plan that includes the right amount of data, talk time and text messages for you.
Most phones have data-saving features that can help you reduce your data usage. For example, you can turn off background data usage for apps that you don’t use often.
Many providers offer promotions and discounts on mobile plans, such as money off for signing up online.
Whenever possible, connect to Wi-Fi networks to conserve your mobile data. This can help you save a lot of money on your mobile bill, especially if you're a heavy data user.
Keep an eye on your data, talk and text usage to help you stay within your plan’s limits and avoid additional costs.
Frequently asked questions about the best mobile plans in Sydney
Savvy is partnered with Econnex Comparison (CIMET Sales Pty Ltd, ABN 72 620 395 726) to provide readers with a variety of mobile phone plans to compare. We do not compare all retailers in the market, or all plans offered by all retailers. Savvy earns a commission from Econnex each time a customer buys a mobile phone plan via our website. We don’t arrange for products to be purchased directly, as all purchases are conducted via Econnex.
Any advice presented above is general in nature and doesn’t consider your personal or business objectives, needs or finances. It’s always important to consider whether advice is suitable for you before purchasing a mobile phone plan. For further information on the variety of mobile phone plans compared by Econnex, or how their business works, you can visit their website.