We’ve partnered with Econnex to bring you a range of mobile phone plans to help you compare them.
Are you looking for a mobile plan with international calls? If so, you’re not alone. Many people in Australia need a mobile plan that includes international calls, whether they’re calling family and friends overseas or conducting business.
With so many different mobile phone providers and plans to choose from, it can be tough to know where to start. That’s where Savvy comes in. Our online comparison tool is quick and easy to use, helping you find a range of mobile phone deals in minutes. Start comparing today!
What is a mobile plan with international calls?
A mobile plan with international calls is a mobile phone plan that includes a certain number of minutes of calls to other countries. Having international calls on your plan can be a great option if you make calls to overseas numbers regularly, as it can save a lot of money on your phone bill. Some providers may even include unlimited international calls to certain destinations.
Both prepaid and postpaid mobile phone plans can include international calls or offer them as an added extra. This is usually a month-by-month allowance, though may be longer on long-expiry plans such as 365-day prepaid mobile plans with international calls. However, the international call allowance on your mobile phone plan may not necessarily cover all countries. There may also be a different allowance for different countries, depending on how they are zoned:
- Zone 1: these countries generally have lower international calling rates compared to countries in other zones, and are most commonly included in international call plans. Countries generally include the UK, the USA, China, Canada, Singapore and Japan.
- Zone 2: international calls to countries in Zone 2 are generally priced higher than those in Zone 1, and the number of minutes on your plan may be more limited. Countries generally include Argentina, Italy, France, the Philippines and the UAE.
- Zone 3: this zone is typically the most expensive to call, and may not be available on all international call plans. It generally includes countries such as Mauritius, Oman and Jamaica.
Note that the call rates for each zone – and the countries included – may differ between mobile phone providers. When choosing a mobile phone plan in Australia, it is therefore important to check the small print to understand the countries included. If you make a lot of international calls to a particular country, you will want to choose a plan that includes that country.
How are international calls different to roaming?
International calls and roaming are two different things:
- International calls are calls that you make to a number in another country. For example, if you are in Australia and you call a number in New Zealand, that is an international call.
- Roaming is when you use your mobile phone service abroad. For example, if you are from Australia and you travel to Canada and use your mobile phone service there, you are roaming.
While international calls relate only to phone calls, roaming encompasses all mobile services (calls, texts and data) while abroad.
When you roam, your mobile phone connects to the network of a local mobile phone provider in the country you are visiting. This allows you to make and receive calls, send and receive text messages and use data services, even though you are not in your home country.
Roaming charges can vary depending on the mobile phone provider and plan, and the country you are visiting. Many providers offer plans or add-ons to save money on roaming charges, including prepaid mobile plans with international roaming. However, it is important to carefully read the terms and conditions of any roaming plan before signing up.
What are the advantages of choosing a mobile plan with international calls?
There are a number of advantages to choosing a mobile plan with international calls:
- Convenience: you can make international calls from anywhere, without having to worry about finding a Wi-Fi connection or purchasing a calling card.
- Affordability: many mobile phone providers offer international calling plans at competitive rates, especially if you make a lot of international calls.
- Flexibility: you can choose a plan that includes the countries you call most often, and you can adjust your plan as needed.
- Connectivity: if you have family or friends overseas or you are conducting business, you can stay in touch with people more easily and affordably with a mobile plan that includes international calls.
How do I choose the best mobile plan with international calls?
When choosing a mobile plan with international calls, there are a few things you need to consider:
- How often do you make international calls? If you make international calls regularly, you'll need a plan with a high number of international call minutes. If you only make international calls occasionally, you can save money by choosing a plan with a lower number of international call minutes.
- Which countries do you call most often? Some mobile plans offer discounts on calls to certain countries. If you know which countries you call most often, you can save money by choosing a plan that offers discounts on those countries.
- What other features are important to you? In addition to international calls, many mobile plans also include features such as international text messages, unlimited calls and texts, a high data allowance and voicemail. When choosing a plan, consider which features are most important to you and choose a plan that includes those features.
Why compare mobile plans with Savvy?
How to make international calls on your mobile plan
Check if your mobile plan includes international calls
You can check your mobile phone provider's website or contact them to find out what countries are included in your plan and what the call rates are. You may also have the option to add international calls to your plan if not already included for the destination.
Frequently asked questions about mobile plans with international calls
Savvy is partnered with Econnex Comparison (CIMET Sales Pty Ltd, ABN 72 620 395 726) to provide readers with a variety of mobile phone plans to compare. We do not compare all retailers in the market, or all plans offered by all retailers. Savvy earns a commission from Econnex each time a customer buys a mobile phone plan via our website. We don’t arrange for products to be purchased directly, as all purchases are conducted via Econnex.
Any advice presented above is general in nature and doesn’t consider your personal or business objectives, needs or finances. It’s always important to consider whether advice is suitable for you before purchasing a mobile phone plan. For further information on the variety of mobile phone plans compared by Econnex, or how their business works, you can visit their website.