1. Speak to a financial advisor
Being a beneficiary means that you will receive the payout from a life insurance policy. It also means that you will receive a wide range of opinions on what to do with the lump sum amount from friends and family members. However, for peace of mind you may want to consider speaking to a financial advisor.
According to research by Roy Morgan, 1.96 million Australians spoke to a financial advisor to help them manage their funds. Speaking to a financial advisor can help you make a sound decision when it comes to using the payout as an investment.
2. Eliminate debt to achieve your goal for financial freedom
When taking out a life insurance policy it is important that you choose a policy that will adequately cover expenses that your loved ones will face when you are no longer around. Once your loved ones have received the payout, they can use it to pay off debt which can help bring them one step closer to achieving financial freedom.
3. Using the payout to invest
You may be considering using the payout for an investment to ensure that your loved ones have financial security. Making the right investment is important. Whether you are planning to invest it into the stock market, a business, or a bank account it is vital that you speak to a financial advisor. Weigh your options and see which will bring you the best results. Researching will become your best friend.
4. Important questions to ask
With a lump sum payout comes great responsibility. This means that there will be important questions that you need to ask yourself, especially when it comes to using the payout as an investment. Questions you can ask yourself are:
- What would you like to invest in?
- How long will the investment period be?
- Are there any risks that come with it?
- What are the costs involved?
- Will you be able to access funds quickly?
- How much will you be getting in return?
- Are there any tax implications that come with your investment and will you be able to afford it?
Although life insurance payouts are not taxable it is important to note that if you are planning on investing the payout it could be taxable. Remember to speak to your beneficiaries in terms of what you would like them to do with your life insurance payout.