Car Insurance

A range of car insurance options including GAP cover, vehicle warranty, loan protection and much more

Compare car insurance

At Savvy we understand that your car is a valuable asset. Motor vehicle insurance products are varied and our qualified consultants will inform you on the best options for your vehicle.

Protect your car the Savvy way

Car accidents are a fact of life. 89% of Australians believe that major accidents won’t happen to them but the truth is, tens of thousands of us are involved in road traffic accidents each year. Whether we are at fault or not, having a car insurance premium that helps you get back on the road faster is something we can’t afford not to have. Savvy helps you find a car insurance premium from many of Australia’s top insurance companies so you can save more and get the most out of your policy. We help you sign up and even assist in claims. With a broker at your back, we make claims easy. If you are buying a new car, renewing an expiring policy or just want to shop around, we can help you compare and save.

Competitive premiums, the right advice

Car insurance can be complicated. What level of cover is right for me? Do I need comprehensive insurance? Do I need GAP insurance? What about the bits and pieces of my car comprehensive insurance doesn’t cover? Our team of insurance consultants capture all your information so you can choose a policy that is not only affordable, but covers you and your family as comprehensively as possible. We take the headache out of choosing car insurance, explaining options without the bias or confusion of other “comparison” companies. Our decades of experience in car insurance make sure you get the right level of cover at a competitive price. We can find premiums with hire cars, emergency accommodation, roadside assistance, and more!

Why choose Savvy?

We are accredited with most reputable lenders in Australia giving you a fair choice to compare

How can I save on my premiums?

Some companies offer a discount for paying your premium in a lump sum instead of instalments. Having secure parking for your car, safety and security devices installed on your vehicle, and having a good driving record can all help to reduce your insurance costs. With such a wide variety of policies available, it can be confusing. It makes sense to save time and money by calling one of our experienced consultants for an obligation free appointment to determine your best options. We have many insurance products available at the best rates.

Do you have car insurance questions?

Find answers to all the commonly asked car insurance questions here!

What is the difference between CTP and car insurance?

Compulsory third party (CTP) insurance only provides compensation if your vehicle injures or kills someone in an accident. It does not provide insurance for damage incurred or done to property.

What does comprehensive car insurance cover?

Comprehensive car insurance covers damage caused by your car to other property, fire, theft, accidental damage (i.e., a tree falling on your car) and damage to your car that is your fault. It also covers personal belongings, trailers, emergency transport and accommodation, roadside assistance and other benefits. Note that these can vary from policy to policy.

Why do you need to know where my car is parked, and other information?

This gives your insurer a better picture of the risk they are taking on when assessing your policy. The lower a risk (i.e., a car with an immobiliser that is protected in a garage) the lower your premium.

What is a rating?

A rating, or No Claim Discount, is a risk assessment based on how often you claim on insurance. A rating 1 means you have not claimed for over 5 years and are eligible for the lowest premium price. No rating is a provisional rating, attracting a higher price due to bigger risk.

What are exclusions?

Exclusions are provisions that your policy does not cover. These may include accidents caused by non-listed drivers, or damage caused under the influence of alcohol.

What is an excess?

An excess is an administrative fee you must pay upon making a claim. A basic excess applies to all claims, while an additional excess my apply to other factors such as window damage or drivers under a certain age. Lowering or increasing your excess may do the same for your premium.

Do I need to list other drivers on my policy?

Yes. If other people are driving your car, especially those under a certain age, you must report this to your insurance company. If the driver is not listed and causes an accident, you may not be able to make a claim.

I have had an accident, what should I do?

You should make sure you and others around you are safe. Call 000 for further assistance. Once you have eliminated any dangers, get the details of all parties involved in the accident. Some insurers may have an app so you can capture this information with your mobile device.

Can I pay insurance by the month?

Yes, however this incurs loading due to government charges compared to an annual lump sum payment.

Helpful information on car insurance

Your helpful guides to car insurance – everything you need to know to make sure you’re covered

How to make sure you get the right valuation

When you purchase comprehensive car insurance, you can choose two options to value your vehicle if it’s written off or stolen: agreed value and market value. Agreed value is an amount that you and your insurance company settle on, valid until your next renewal date. You must renew this each year with your insurer. It takes time, but could net you more if you claim, especially if you modify your car. Market value is an amount that the insurance company believes your car would sell for if sold at the date of premium renewal. This takes into account existing damage, make, model, year and condition. The downside to market value is they will give you the lowest possible value.

The three main levels of car insurance

Buying car insurance is easier when you know the levels of insurance coverage. There are three: third party property damage, third party fire & theft, and comprehensive cover. Third party property (3PP) damage only insures you against damage you cause to other vehicles or property. Any damage sustained to your own car is not covered. Third party fire and theft includes 3PP cover and if your car is stolen, or written off due to fire. Comprehensive cover covers you for almost all eventualities – theft, fire, and damage regardless with who was at fault. Some comprehensive cover also offers roadside assistance, hire cars, new for old replacement, and no claim bonuses.

Do you need tyre and rim insurance?

Many Australians believe comprehensive car insurance covers absolutely everything. In most cases, it doesn’t cover engine repairs, electrical shortages or most important, tyre and rim damage. Tyre and rim insurance is important because without even one of these vital car parts, your car is immobile. Tyres and rim replacements – especially on 4WDs or commercial vans – can cost well into the four figures. Coming up with money for tyres and rims on the spot can prove costly, and tyre and rim insurance can save you in the end. This kind of insurance can also include roadside assistance and hotel stays.

What is GAP insurance?

GAP insurance or Motor Equity Insurance (MEI) is an insurance policy that covers the shortfall or “gap” between what you owe on a loan and the payout amount if your car is written off as a total loss, or stolen. If you owe $15,000 and only get $10,000 from your insurer, GAP insurance covers the last $5,000 so you aren’t out of pocket. GAP insurance, in some premiums, can also cover your comprehensive car insurance excess and the costs of replacing your old car with a new one. It is a sort of “insurance against insurance” not covering the full amount to get you back on the road.