Car insurance is an essential aspect of owning and driving a vehicle, so it’s crucial your policy meets your requirements. Women taking out car insurance have a range of options to choose from, depending on their specific needs, so it’s important to understand what these are.
If you're a woman looking for car insurance coverage, you can compare plans using Savvy’s 100% free online comparison tool. Receive instant personalised quotes from leading insurers and compare policies side-by-side. Get started with a free, no-obligation quote today.
Is car insurance cheaper for women in Australia?
In Australia, women generally benefit from slightly lower car insurance premiums than men. This is largely down to statistics showing that men cause significantly more car accidents than women in Australia, which insurance companies take into account when setting insurance rates. According to the Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research Economics, only 25.8% of road fatalities in Australia across 2022 were women.
As such, women are seen as lower risk and may be offered insurance at a cheaper cost. However, this is just one of many factors insurance providers consider when determining premiums. It's important to be aware of the other factors that can impact the cost of your car insurance premium as a female driver.
What else impacts car insurance premiums for women?
Car insurance premiums in Australia are influenced by several factors beyond gender. These factors include but aren’t limited to:
- Age: younger and inexperienced drivers often face higher premiums due to the perceived higher risk associated with their age group.
- Driving history: a driver's record, including any accidents, traffic offences or claims, can impact insurance rates. Safe driving with no or few incidents can lead to lower premiums.
- Type of vehicle: the make, model, age and value of your car can affect insurance rates; for example, vehicles that are more expensive to repair could result in higher premiums.
- Location: where your car is primarily parked or driven can impact insurance rates, with factors such as crime rates and congestion in the area potentially influencing premiums. Garaged vehicles may attract lower premiums than those parked on the street.
- Coverage: the type of coverage and additional features selected, such as roadside assistance or additional drivers, can also affect premiums.
How can I keep my car insurance costs down?
You can help keep your car insurance costs down with a few key strategies:
- Maintain a good driving record: safe driving habits and avoiding traffic violations and accidents can lead to lower insurance premiums, as a clean driving record demonstrates responsible behaviour to insurers.
- Choose appropriate coverage levels: evaluate your insurance needs carefully and look for coverage that provides adequate protection without unnecessary expenses.
- Explore discounts and incentives: many insurers offer discounts based on various factors such as booking online or bundling insurance.
- Increase your excess: a higher excess means you'll pay more in case of a claim, but it can also result in lower premium costs.
- Compare quotes: looking at car insurance quotes from different providers can help you find the most affordable policy available to you. Savvy’s 100% free comparison tool allows you to compare offers side-by-side to find the best possible women’s car insurance deal from our panel of trusted insurers in moments.
Why compare car insurance with Savvy?
Types of car insurance you can choose from
The most basic type of optional cover available, TPPD insurance can offer protection for damage caused by your vehicle to other people's property. However, no damage to your vehicle will be covered.
A step up from TPPD, TPFT insurance can also cover damage to your vehicle sustained due to a fire or theft (or attempted theft) in addition to third-party property damage if you're in an at-fault accident.
The most extensive (and expensive) form of cover, comprehensive car insurance can also offer cover for damage to your vehicle in an accident, collision and certain weather events on top of the areas TPFT covers.
Common questions about car insurance for women
Helpful guides on car insurance
Compare car insurance options by make
Select your car make and find out how much it may cost to insure, read helpful guides and receive instant quotes from our partnered insurers.
Savvy (ABN 78 660 493 194, ACR 541 339) provides readers with a variety of car insurance policies to compare. Savvy earns a commission from our partnered insurers each time a customer buys a car insurance policy via our website. All purchases are conducted via our partners’ websites. The integrity of our comparison service is unaffected by our partnerships with those businesses and our effort remains to bring further brands that do not already use our comparison service onboard.
Savvy’s comparison service includes selected products from a panel of trusted insurers and does not compare all products in the market. Any advice presented above or on other pages is general in nature and doesn’t consider your personal or business objectives, needs or finances. It’s always important to consider whether advice is suitable for you before purchasing an insurance policy. We always recommend readers to consult the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) of different policies before purchasing your car insurance.