Car Insurance for P-Platers

Compare instant car insurance quotes for P-platers side-by-side with Savvy, whether you’re looking for comprehensive or third party cover.

Written by 
Savvy Editorial Team
Savvy's content writing team are professionals with a wide and diverse range of industry experience and topic knowledge. We write across a broad spectrum of finance-related topics to provide our readers with informative resources to help them learn more about a certain area or enable them to decide on which product is best for their needs with careful comparison. Meet the team behind the operation here. Visit our authors page to meet Savvy's expert writing team, committed to delivering informative and engaging content to help you make informed financial decisions.
Our authors
, updated on June 23rd, 2023       

Fact checked

At Savvy, we are committed to providing accurate information. Our content undergoes a rigorous process of fact-checking before it is published. Learn more about our editorial policy.

Car Insurance Banner - Young woman smiling while driving a car.

Getting the best car insurance for your needs as a P-plater in Australia is all about knowing where to look. Even if new drivers are perceived as a greater risk due to less experience on the road, it’s still crucial to compare a variety of offers before signing onto your insurance policy. That’s where Savvy comes in handy.

With our free comparison service, you can compare instant car insurance quotes side-by-side. Our easy-to-use online platform allows you to quickly and easily compare policies, coverage options and prices to help you make an informed decision about which is the best possible policy for your needs. Get a free, no-obligation quote through us today and see how much you can save on your car insurance.

How much will my car insurance policy cost as a P-plater?

The cost of car insurance as a P-plater in Australia can vary depending on several factors. However, in general, you’ll face higher premiums due to your inexperience on the road compared to those with a full licence who have been driving for a long time.

Aside from your age and experience, some of the factors which can impact the cost of your policy include:

  • Type of vehicle: the make and model of your car can influence your premium, as some cars are more expensive to repair or replace or are more likely to be stolen.
  • Your driving record: a history of accidents, claims or traffic offences can increase your premium, as you’ll be seen as posing a greater risk of getting in an accident and claiming again.
  • Where you live: your postcode can affect your premium, as some areas have higher rates of accidents, theft or vandalism. Additionally, different states present different risk factors, such as Queensland compared to South Australia.
  • How you use your car: the more you drive, the higher the risk, which can increase your premium. If you catch the bus into work or university every day, your premiums may not be as high.
  • Excess: increasing your excess can lower your premium, but it means you'll pay more out of pocket if you make a claim.
  • Insurance type: as mentioned, comprehensive cover is typically more expensive than third party insurance, as it provides more protection for your car.
  • Special car insurance offers: some insurers may offer discounts to drivers who sign up during a certain window or those who go a long time without making a claim, so each of these may impact your policy’s price.

Can I be covered under my parents’ car insurance as a P-plater?

It’s possible for you to be covered under your parents’ car insurance policy as a P-plater, provided you’re listed as a driver on the policy. However, it's important to note that this only applies if you’re primarily driving the family car, rather than your own. Should you own a vehicle yourself, you’ll need to purchase insurance to cover it separate from your parents’ policy.

Being added to their policy may also result in an increase in their premiums due to the added risk of having a young and inexperienced driver on the policy, which is generally the case for drivers under 25. It's also worth checking with the insurance provider whether they have any specific rules or requirements for insuring P-platers on a policy, such as an age limit on children of the policyholder.

Why compare car insurance with Savvy?

Types of car insurance you can choose from

How to compare car insurance policies for P-platers

Common questions about car insurance for P-platers

How can I reduce my car insurance premiums as a P-plater?

To reduce your car insurance premiums as a P-plater, you can consider the following:

  • Increasing your excess
  • Driving a less expensive car
  • Avoid excessive claims
  • Pay your premiums annually
  • Compare your options with Savvy
How do I make a claim on my car insurance?

To make a claim on your car insurance, you’ll need to contact your insurer as soon as possible and provide all the necessary information and documentation, such as the details of the accident, the names and contact information of any witnesses, photos of the incident and a police report if applicable. Your insurer will then assess your claim and determine if you're covered for the damage or loss.

If I’m a delivery driver, can I claim my car insurance premiums as a tax deduction?

Generally, if you use your car for work-related purposes, such as delivering food or other goods, you may be able to claim a portion of your insurance premiums as a tax deduction (equivalent to the amount used for business purposes compared to personal usage). However, it's best to consult a tax professional for advice if you’re unsure about what you can claim.

Will I be able to buy car insurance if I’m an L-plater?

You can buy car insurance as an L-plater in Australia. However, your options might be more limited and your premium may be higher due to your lack of driving experience, which is also the case for P-platers. If you’re still learning to drive in your parents’ car, you can typically be included under their policy.

What is compulsory third party car insurance?

Compulsory third party (CTP) insurance is a type of insurance which is mandatory for all registered vehicles in Australia and can provide cover for injury or death you cause to another person while driving your car. It can sometimes be built into the cost of your vehicle registration and is sold either through government-approved insurers or your state or territory government itself. CTP insurance doesn't cover damage to your own vehicle or other people's property.

Helpful guides on car insurance

Car Insurance Banner - Couple driving their vehicle on a short-term holiday with the sunset in the background.

Short-Term Car Insurance

Find out some of the ways to take out short-term car insurance in Australia right here with Savvy. Insurance companies...

Car Insurance Banner - Couple driving in an open-top car, happy about receiving a no-claim bonus on their car insurance.

No-Claim Bonus in Car Insurance

Find out more about no-claim bonuses and how they can benefit your car insurance policy right here with Savvy. Looking...

Car Insurance Banner - An exterior view of cars driving on a highway.

Unregistered Car Insurance

Find out whether you can cover your unregistered vehicle through Savvy’s informative guide today. Are you looking for insurance coverage...

Compare car insurance options by make

Select your car make and find out how much it may cost to insure, read helpful guides and receive instant quotes from our partnered insurers.


Savvy (ABN 78 660 493 194, ACR 541 339) provides readers with a variety of car insurance policies to compare. Savvy earns a commission from our partnered insurers each time a customer buys a car insurance policy via our website. All purchases are conducted via our partners’ websites. The integrity of our comparison service is unaffected by our partnerships with those businesses and our effort remains to bring further brands that do not already use our comparison service onboard.

Savvy’s comparison service includes selected products from a panel of trusted insurers and does not compare all products in the market. Any advice presented above or on other pages is general in nature and doesn’t consider your personal or business objectives, needs or finances. It’s always important to consider whether advice is suitable for you before purchasing an insurance policy. We always recommend readers to consult the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) of different policies before purchasing your car insurance.