Public Liability Insurance Northern Territory

Compare online quotes for public liability insurance in the NT here with Savvy today. 

Written by 
Savvy Editorial Team
Savvy's content writing team are professionals with a wide and diverse range of industry experience and topic knowledge. We write across a broad spectrum of finance-related topics to provide our readers with informative resources to help them learn more about a certain area or enable them to decide on which product is best for their needs with careful comparison. Meet the team behind the operation here. Visit our authors page to meet Savvy's expert writing team, committed to delivering informative and engaging content to help you make informed financial decisions.
Our authors
, updated on August 1st, 2023       

Fact checked

At Savvy, we are committed to providing accurate information. Our content undergoes a rigorous process of fact-checking before it is published. Learn more about our editorial policy.

Business Insurance Banner
Vero Insurance
QBE Insurance
RelyOn Insurance
AIG Logo
Berkley Logo

We’ve partnered with BizCover to bring you a range of business insurance policies to help you compare them side by side.

Whether your business is situated in Darwin, Katherine or Tennant Creek, you may need to consider public liability insurance if you have any dealings with members of the public. This type of insurance can protect your business against a range of covered events that may lead to costly personal injury or property damage claims. 

You can compare public liability insurance offers from trusted business insurance companies with Savvy. Just answer a few simple questions about your business and the insurance you’re looking for and you’ll have a variety of quotes to consider instantly. Start the process with a free quote today. 

Public liability insurance in the Northern Territory – what is it and how does it work?

Public liability insurance is a form of business insurance which can offer your business protection in the event of claims of injury or property damage as a result of negligent business activity. It can cover the cost of defending your business against a personal injury or damages claim and compensation awarded to a successful litigant up to your agreed cover limit (however, all coverage is subject to your insurer’s terms and conditions). 

Cover is available for amounts of $5 million, $10 million and $20 million, which can give you the freedom to choose which is best suited to your business’ needs and will most appropriately cover the risks it faces. 

You can get a range of insurance quotes quickly and easily here through Savvy. By completing a free, no-obligation quote, you can compare offers from some of Australia’s leading insurers. 

What does public liability insurance cover my NT business for?

Public liability insurance is designed to offer protection to businesses against a range of negligence claims. This cover can include: 

  1. Personal injury claims made by a third party 
  2. Claims related to property damage 
  3. Any compensation awarded to a third party 
  4. The legal cost of defending yourself or your company against such claims 

It’s important to bear in mind that all insurance policies and their coverage are subject to eligibility criteria and terms and conditions, so you should check your policy’s PDS carefully before choosing which insurance may be best for your Territory business. 

What is not covered by public liability insurance? 

Some of the areas which generally aren’t included under a public liability insurance policy are: 

  1. Injuries to yourself or your workers 
  2. Damage to your own business assets or property 
  3. Any damages awarded to a successful plaintiff for your professional negligence 
  4. The cost of repairing faulty workmanship 
  5. The cost of product recalls
  6. Incidents which occurred before or after your period of cover

Which types of businesses in the NT need public liability insurance?

The level of coverage your NT business may need will vary according to your situation. For example, if you’re a building contractor responsible for multiple sites, your level of cover is likely to be higher than a sole trader working in landscaping. However, all businesses which have contact with the public should consider some level of public liability cover. This includes: 

  • Anyone in the tourism industry – tour guides, boat, plane and transport operators, accommodation providers 
  • Anyone in retail or food industries – shops, retail outlets, cafes, bakeries, restaurants, takeaway shops, pizza shops, mobile food vans 
  • Anyone involved in the construction of buildings or housing – architects, engineers, builders, electricians, plumbers, painters, handymen and all other tradies 
  • Anyone offering a hands-on service to the public – nurses, doctors, allied health professionals, hairdressers, masseurs, alternative therapists, personal trainers and martial arts instructors 
  • Any business that offers professional service to the public – real estate agents, recruitment consultants, migration agents, finance and IT professionals, other consultants and contractors in specialist fields 
  • Any business that deals with public property – mechanics, landscapers, lawn mowers, dog and pet services, car washing and auto detailing, cleaners 

How do I compare public liability insurance for my business in the NT?

There are several different aspects you should consider when comparing insurance policies with Savvy. These include: 

  • The cost – it's natural to want the cheapest insurance available, but the lowest-cost policy may not always offer the best value, as coverage may be more limited or it may come with more exclusions. Therefore, when comparing policies, make sure you read the PDS carefully and make sure you compare like with like so you’re able to see the true respective cost of each policy. This can also help you avoid overpaying for your coverage. 
  • The coverage – ‘the devil is in the detail’ certainly applies to many insurance policies. Make sure you’re clear about what is and isn’t covered by the policy, which may involve reading the exclusions in the PDS and comparing with other policies side-by-side, before determining which one may be best for your business. 
  • Level of cover – before choosing an insurance policy, consider the level of coverage that you may need. For example, if you’re renting a business premises, does your landlord require you to have a certain level of public liability cover, such as a minimum of $5 million coverage? You can choose amounts between $5 million and $20 million according to the risks faced by your particular business. 
  • Additions and optional extras – some policies can offer additional types of insurance bundled together with public liability (for example, offering product liability insurance as an add-on). If you need cover in an area not included under public liability insurance, it may be worth considering what different insurers offer in the area of extras. 

What factors will affect the cost of my public liability insurance in the NT?

Types of business insurance

Enjoy the Savvy difference when you compare insurance with us

Frequently asked questions about public liability insurance in the Northern Territory

Can I get insurance coverage for products I sell in Darwin through my public liability insurance?

No – public liability insurance only tends to cover third-party injury or damages claims which happen as a result of your business activity. If you wish to be covered against claims that a product you supplied caused sickness, injury or property damage, you may have to look at getting additional product liability insurance

Is public liability insurance compulsory in the NT?

No – public liability isn’t compulsory in the NT under Australian law, but it may be required in certain circumstances. For example, to have a stall at Mindil Beach Market or to rent a shop or commercial premises, you may need to provide proof that you have public liability insurance. 

What’s the difference between public liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance?

Professional indemnity insurance can cover a business against claims they offered bad advice, or the service they provided was below reasonable standards or negligent. This is in contrast to public liability insurance, which protects a business from claims that someone was injured or their property damaged as a result of business negligence.  

What is a Certificate of Currency and do I need one in the NT?

A Certificate of Currency is an official receipt and acknowledgement that you’re covered by a named type of insurance from a specified date and time. It’s a legal document which will be automatically sent to you once you pay your first insurance premium. You’ll need this document to provide to anyone who needs proof that you have the required insurance policy.

Do I need public liability insurance if I’m a sole trader in the NT?

This will depend on whether you come into contact with members of the public or have extensive contact with their property, as well as the industry you work in. For example, if your business involves booking appointments and visiting the homes of your customers, you may consider public liability insurance to offer protection in case you accidentally damage their property. This is particularly important for occupations that have contact with customers’ property, such as real estate agents or electricians. 

Helpful guides on business insurance

Business Insurance for Events

Cost For Business Insurance

Find out how much your business insurance may cost and compare quotes here with Savvy.  Compare quotes now 100% free...

Employee at a food business using a calculator at the counter.

Business Insurance Requirements

Find out what the requirements are to get a business insurance policy and compare quotes with Savvy today Compare quotes...

Business Insurance Packages

Compare business insurance package offers with Savvy here.  Compare quotes now 100% free and no obligation. We’ve partnered with BizCover...


Savvy is partnered with BizCover Pty Ltd (ABN 68 127 707 975, AFSL 501769) to provide readers with a variety of business insurance policies to compare. Savvy earns a commission from BizCover each time a customer buys a business insurance policy via our website. We don’t arrange for products to be purchased from these brands directly, as all purchases are conducted via BizCover.

Savvy does not compare all business insurance policies or providers currently operating in the market. Any advice presented above or on other pages is general in nature and doesn’t consider your personal or business objectives, needs or finances. It’s always important to consider whether advice is suitable for you before purchasing an insurance policy.

For any further information on the variety of insurers compared by BizCover or how their business works, you can read their Financial Services Guide.

We'd love to chat, how can we help?

By clicking "Submit", you agree to be contacted by a Savvy Agency Owner and to receive communications from Savvy which you can unsubscribe from at any time. Read our Privacy Policy.