Business Insurance For Martial Arts

Compare business insurance quotes with Savvy to find the best policy for your martial arts studio. 

Written by 
Savvy Editorial Team
Savvy's content writing team are professionals with a wide and diverse range of industry experience and topic knowledge. We write across a broad spectrum of finance-related topics to provide our readers with informative resources to help them learn more about a certain area or enable them to decide on which product is best for their needs with careful comparison. Meet the team behind the operation here. Visit our authors page to meet Savvy's expert writing team, committed to delivering informative and engaging content to help you make informed financial decisions.
Our authors
, updated on July 17th, 2023       

Fact checked

At Savvy, we are committed to providing accurate information. Our content undergoes a rigorous process of fact-checking before it is published. Learn more about our editorial policy.

A martial art business owner teaching his student
Vero Insurance
QBE Insurance
RelyOn Insurance
AIG Logo
Berkley Logo

We’ve partnered with BizCover to bring you a range of business insurance policies to help you compare them side by side.

Martial arts often involves close contact between participants, so having the right business insurance is vital for any martial arts school or studio. Professional indemnity and public liability insurance are necessary if you teach contact sports where participants have bodily contact with each other, such as in many forms of karate, taekwondo and kung fu. 

You can compare quotes for all types of business insurance here with Savvy. Just answer a few simple questions about your business and the type of martial arts tuition you offer and you’ll have multiple quotes from a range of respected insurers to consider instantly. Use our quick and easy comparison service to make sure you get the best value insurance for your martial arts school today. 

What types of insurance should I buy for my martial arts business?

There are several types of business insurance you should compare if you run a martial arts school, studio or gym. These include: 

Professional indemnity insurance 

Teaching martial arts will always involve the risk of a student getting hurt, which could lead to a claim that the fitness advice you provided or techniques you taught were negligent or resulted in a personal injury. As such, professional indemnity insurance is essential for all martial arts instructors and is often a requirement to hire a studio or gym or to conduct classes in open spaces, such as a council-owned park. 

This type of insurance policy covers you against claims that the teaching service you provided was negligent or fell short of expected professional standards. Cover is available starting from $2 million but can extend up to $10 million or more. 

What it covers 

  • Cover for your legal defence costs  
  • Payment of compensation if there’s a successful claim against you 
  • Payment of court-awarded damages to the litigant 
  • Cover for the cost of disciplinary proceedings or accident investigations 

Public liability insurance 

Public liability insurance is also essential for anyone running a martial arts school or studio. It will cover you against claims that your business activity caused injury to a member of the public or damaged their property. This insurance can offer cover ranging from $5 million up to $20 million.  

Since there can be some overlap between professional indemnity and public liability insurance, having both types of insurance as part of a package with the same insurer can make the process of submitting a claim far simpler. 

What it covers:  

  • Third-party personal injury claims 
  • Damage to a third party’s property 
  • Legal fees to defend yourself 

General business insurance 

General business insurance may also be worthwhile if you have a training studio or fitness equipment to protect as part of your martial arts business.  

This can include portable equipment insurance, which will cover all your training equipment if you do offer classes in the open air or public parks. Commercial vehicles aren’t included as part of this business insurance, so you may need separate commercial vehicle protection if you have a work vehicle or van which you use to transport your training equipment.  

What it covers: 

  • Fire, storms, theft, vandalism and collision that cause damage to your business assets 
  • Specialist cover for portable equipment  

Limited business interruption insurance 

What isn’t covered under my general business insurance?  

The most common general exclusions include: 

  • Injury to yourself or your employees 
  • Flood damage 
  • Glass breakage 
  • Unlawful activity or criminal negligence 
  • Reckless behaviour or intentional damage 
  • Anything to do with asbestos 
  • The effects of pollution caused by your business activity 

How much will my martial arts business insurance policy cost? 

There is no set cost for an insurance policy, as each applicant is different and faces unique risks. Many factors influence the cost of business insurance, including the following:   

  • The state you’re in 
  • Whether you live in a rural or urban area 
  • Whether you’re a sole trader, are in a partnership or run a larger business 
  • Your business size and turnover 
  • If you have any employees 
  • Your insurance history 
  • Whether you’ve made an insurance claim in the past five years 

The main factor which will affect the cost of your insurance is the industry you’re in. All businesses in Australia are classified according to the risk their industry poses, and are allocated a risk ratio. These ratios are used by insurers to calculate the comparative risk of any one business compared to another.  

However, in general, businesses in northern areas of Australia will have higher insurance costs than businesses in the southern or eastern states. This is because northern states offer a higher insurance risk due to the threat of cyclones and devastating tropical storms. For example, the cost of public liability insurance in Queensland for a martial arts instructor may be higher than a similar business being run in Melbourne. 

You can find out how much insurance will cost for your business by comparing quotes right here with Savvy. Whether you need insurance for teaching martial arts or as a fitness instructor or personal trainer, you’ll be able to find a policy that suits your business needs with more confidence.

Why do I need business insurance for my martial arts school?

Any situation where you are offering physical training to the public comes with its own risks. A student can easily injure themselves (or another person) whenever there is contact between participants in a sporting environment, so it’s all too easy for an instructor to be found liable if an injury does occur. Business insurance is there to protect you in case a claim is ever made against you or your business.  

Most small to medium-sized businesses have some contingency funds to fall back on, but rarely have sufficient to cover the cost of a major catastrophe. For example, if someone suffers a serious spinal injury in your martial arts studio or gym, a resulting personal injury claim could amount to millions of dollars. If this happens and you have adequate insurance to protect you and your business, you’ll have a far higher chance of recovering and getting back on your feet quickly. 

Types of business insurance

Enjoy the Savvy difference when you compare insurance with us

Frequently asked questions about business insurance for makeup artists

Will my martial arts insurance cover me for full-contact fighting in a ring?

This will depend on the type of insurance cover you opt for, and whether there are exclusions or limitations to the cover offered. For this reason, it’s important to compare insurance policies carefully and review your insurer’s PDS before buying to make sure you know exactly what you are and aren’t covered for.  

What excess will apply to my martial arts insurance policy?

You'll be able to choose the level of excess you want and are comfortable with. Naturally, the lower the excess you choose, the higher your insurance premiums will be, so it's important to set it at a price you feel you’re able to afford. 

What information will I need to make a claim?

The information you should have to hand when you contact your insurance company to make a claim will include: 

  • The name of the policyholder 
  • Your policy number and start date (which can be found on your Certificate of Currency) 
  • A detailed description of the incident (what happened to cause the damage or loss) 
  • Specific dates and times when the incident happened 
  • Contact details of any other parties involved (or witnesses to the event) 
  • Details of your police report number (if a crime took place) 
  • Details of the property lost or damaged (including its age and value) 
  • Your bank details for settling the claim 
Are my martial arts business insurance premiums tax-deductible? 

Yes – the Australian Taxation Office recognises that having business insurance is a legitimate cost of doing business, so the full cost of your insurance premiums can be claimed as a business expense and offset against your income. However, it’s worth seeking independent tax advice to find out what you can and can’t claim in relation to your business insurance. 

Helpful guides on business insurance

Business Insurance for Events

Cost For Business Insurance

Find out how much your business insurance may cost and compare quotes here with Savvy.  Compare quotes now 100% free...

Business Insurance Packages

Compare business insurance package offers with Savvy here.  Compare quotes now 100% free and no obligation. We’ve partnered with BizCover...

Employee at a food business using a calculator at the counter.

Business Insurance Requirements

Find out what the requirements are to get a business insurance policy and compare quotes with Savvy today Compare quotes...


Savvy is partnered with BizCover Pty Ltd (ABN 68 127 707 975, AFSL 501769) to provide readers with a variety of business insurance policies to compare. Savvy earns a commission from BizCover each time a customer buys a business insurance policy via our website. We don’t arrange for products to be purchased from these brands directly, as all purchases are conducted via BizCover.

Savvy does not compare all business insurance policies or providers currently operating in the market. Any advice presented above or on other pages is general in nature and doesn’t consider your personal or business objectives, needs or finances. It’s always important to consider whether advice is suitable for you before purchasing an insurance policy.

For any further information on the variety of insurers compared by BizCover or how their business works, you can read their Financial Services Guide.

A martial art business owner teaching his student

We'd love to chat, how can we help?

By clicking "Submit", you agree to be contacted by a Savvy Agency Owner and to receive communications from Savvy which you can unsubscribe from at any time. Read our Privacy Policy.