When looking for pet insurance, it’s important to compare a range of features to find the plan that best suits your requirements. These include:
Premiums may vary depending on the level of coverage and the insurer’s pricing structure. Compare policies based on your pet’s breed, age and location to determine which suit your budget or offer the best value for money.
Check the annual benefit limit of each policy to see if it’s sufficient to cover potential high-cost treatments or emergencies. Higher benefit limits can provide more financial protection, especially for pets that may require ongoing or specialised care.
Consider the benefit percentage offered by each policy. A higher percentage means the insurer will cover a larger portion of eligible vet bills. For example, a policy with an 80% benefit percentage will cover 80% of the vet bill, leaving you responsible for the remaining 20%.
Sub limits refer to specific maximum coverage amounts for particular types of treatments or procedures outlined in the policy. These can vary depending on the insurance provider and the specific plan you choose – some providers might not set any sub limits at all – so it is important to check the policy documents.
Review the coverage details for accidents, illnesses and any additional benefits. Look for policies that offer the coverage you need. Some policies may also offer coverage for alternative therapies or behavioural treatments.
Exclusions are conditions or treatments not covered by the insurance, such as pre-existing conditions or certain elective procedures. Knowing the exclusions helps you understand the coverage limitations and determine which policy is the best for you.
Check if there are any discounts available with the policy. For example, multi-pet discounts can be beneficial if you have more than one pet to insure. Additionally, insuring your pet while they are young can result in lower premiums compared to insuring older pets.