For many Australians, the car is the second most important purchase ever made, right after their house. If this is your case, too, you undoubtedly want to ensure that your vehicle is in optimal working condition and stays this way for as long as possible.
Car maintenance is meant to help you improve the overall performance of your vehicle, and also to extend its life. Because of this, it is necessary for you to understand a few car maintenance basics so that you can take care of your vehicle in a proper manner. This will save you valuable time that you would spend in auto repair shops, and more important, a lot of money.
Basic car maintenance you should do every 6-8 weeks
Here are a few tips on how to keep your car performance at its best and avoid an early death of your vehicle:
- Start with your car battery and check it for any leaks. Also, make sure all cables are connected safely.
- Verify the levels of transmission fluid. If necessary, fill the container with more transmission fluid.
- Look at the level of radiator coolant fluid. If you need to top it up, don’t hesitate to do this.
- Check your windscreen wipers. Generally, when they make an annoying, squeaky noise, it’s time to replace them.
- The power steering fluid levels also need to be checked periodically. If you notice that they are too low, add more fluid.
- Verify your car’s dashboard indicator lights. Do they all work? If not, then you might have a blown fuse. In this case, you will have to replace it, but it is better to go to an auto repair shop for this.
- Check the headlights, on both high and low beam. Ensure they work correctly and verify the alignment.
- The next step is to check your signal indicator lights. Are they working, both in the front and in the back? Also, verify if they function in hazard mode, too.
- Look at the engine oil levels and see if you need to top it up. This action is vital for your car’s “health”. Moreover, you can ensure its engine is running properly by changing the oil whenever you notice it is dirty and black. This part of car maintenance can make you avoid plenty of unnecessary problems and costs. You surely admit that it’s much easier and cheaper to change the oil than to repair the damage caused by not doing this.
- Verify the windscreen washer fluid. Many people forget about it, and when they need it, there is none! Fill up as often as you can in order to avoid this situation.
- Look at your tyres tread and see if there is any unusual wear and tear. Air pressure should be adjusted to your car’s need, not necessarily to what is written on the tyre.
Checks performed in an auto repair shop
Never skip scheduled maintenance services, because these are also vital for the proper functioning and the performance of your car. During such a session, your mechanic will check:
- Brake pads
- Tyre alignment
- Fuel filtre
- Cabin air filtre
- Engine air filtre
- Engine hose and belts
- Exhaust system
- Spark plugs and injectors